RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherMedical sciences › OtherPharmacological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE06/12/2020 17:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
The Manhiça Health Research Center (CISM) has among its fundamental activities the development of research on those diseases that most affect the population of Manhiça. On a continuous basis, new research projects in the areas of infectious diseases (malaria, tuberculosis, HIV, acute respiratory diseases, etc ...) have been funded to be carried out and led since Manhiça. In some cases, these projects have a high clinical component that require the researchers who lead them to be clinicians, preferably pediatricians.
Among its fundamental activities, CISM also provides support to the Manhiça District Hospital, the Manhiça Health Center, and health in your study area. These assistance activities are coordinated by the CISM Clinic Department. Essentially, these assistance activities are in the scope of pediatrics, but CISM is also giving specific support to adults.
About this project
PreFIT aims to validate assays for improved prediction of progression from latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) to active tuberculosis (TB) disease. Assays with high positive predictive value (PPV) for progression to TB disease have great potential for reducing TB morbidity and mortality in Africa by allowing scale-up of preventive treatment, which is becoming possible with shorter, safer preventive treatment regimens. PreFIT will achieve high PPV for progression to TB disease with a package of assays that diagnose incipient TB, a stage of LTBI progressing towards disease that can be halted with preventive treatment. These assays test for specific messenger RNA, C-reactive protein and hemoglobin on field-friendly platforms. PreFIT will take the next step in development of these novel and existing assays by validating them prospectively at point-of-care for their clinical performance, feasibility and cost in a cohort of TB-exposed household contacts. These contacts will be followed for 12 months for progression to TB disease, and we will compare test results among participants who do, versus participants who don’t progress to TB disease. In addition, PreFIT will validate iron homeostasis markers retrospectively on the samples collected in the cohort. Robust plans will ensure assay uptake and capacity building.
The consortium includes: Stichting Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD); Manhiça Health Research Centre (CSIM), Mozambique; Stellenbosch University, South Africa; Makerere University, Uganda; Fundación Privada Instituto de Salud Global Barcelona (ISGLobal), Spain; Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), Switzerland
What We Are Looking for:
We are seeking a research fellow to join the Tuberculosis Research Group led by Dr. Alberto García-Basteiro at ISGlobal. This is a unique opportunity for a motivated young scientist to collaborate with an international consortium to validate assays for improved prediction of progression from latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) to active tuberculosis (TB) disease.
- Coordinate overall study procedures in the field and ensure adherence to protocol of all study staff.
- Supervise laboratory procedures of the project.
- Carry out high-quality research independently and propose new studies.
- Help develop robust training sessions and data infrastructure to support collaborative related projects at ISGlobal/CISM
- Publish research results in scientific journals and in national and international conferences.
- Collaborate in any other activities of the research center (meetings, clinical or laboratory sessions, journal clubs, etc.), as per agreement with the direct supervisor.
This post falls under the Tuberculosis Research Group and reports to its responsible, the PI of the project.
The head of the Group has the responsibility to define the tasks and responsibilities to be developed and to supervise them.
Other general aspects
Medical assistance is provided in places that are under the management and responsibility of the Mozambican State. Therefore, the tasks should be carried out according to the rules of clinical conduct in force in Mozambique, and in accordance with the guidelines and guidelines indicated by the Director of the District Services for Women's Health and Social Action and the District Chief Physician.
Assistance activities can only be carried out after authorization by the Minister and the Order of Doctors of Mozambique.
- Duration: 3 years
- Starting date: January 1st 2021
- Contract: Full time
- Salary Range: Following ISGlobal salary scales
During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to sanitary requirements.
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: RF_TB_Nov20, attach the CV and a Cover Letter.
Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 6th December 2020.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation.
- Problem resolution
- Learning capacity
- Masters of PhD level fellow with experience in TB laboratory methods (we expect undergraduate degree holders in Biology, Microbiology, Medicine, Pharmacy, Biotechnology). Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers who have documented experience in research methods and laboratory methods.
- Experience developing algorithms or building data solutions, and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources will be an asset.
- Experience of analyzing clinical/healthcare data.
- Be willing to work in an interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative research institute
- Be fluent in spoken and written English
- Be willing to apply to individual fellowships, which will contribute to strengthen ISGLobal’s TB research portfolio.
- Spanish (equivalent to level C)
- English (equivalent to proficiency)
- Portuguese (this will be valued as a positive asset)
EURAXESS offer ID: 580274
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.