OFFER DEADLINE04/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMENot funded by an EU programme
ORGANISATION/COMPANYMaimonides Biomedical Research Institute of Cordoba - IMIBIC
LABORATORYKnowledge Discovery and Intelligent Systems
IMIBIC HOSTING OFFER:
La Caixa INPhINIT INCOMING Doctoral Fellowship Programme Call 2021
Prof. Sebastián Ventura Soto (firstname.lastname@example.org)
RESEARCH PROJECT/RESEARCH GROUP
Research Project / Research Group Description
Knowledge discovery in databases is a crucial process with high relevance in many areas of society; the massive volume of data generated by digital and information systems have made it possible that humans can analyze, in a traditional manner, the current plethora of data. One of the most important tasks in the data mining process is the construction of predictive models able to estimate the value of a variable(s) of interest, which commonly has a remarkable impact on the object of study.
In the last few years, deep learning methods have gained increasing attention in the research community, mainly due to their capacity to model high-level relationships existing in data by applying a sequence of non-linear transformations, thus enhancing the discovering and learning of more complex patterns. Another field of study that has recently gained in popularity is the development of methods for text mining, which can derive high-quality information from text, and the deep learning methods have been also proved very useful for this task. As for the possible real-world applications, biomedicine is one of the areas of study that has taken advantage of the benefits of these two learning paradigms; we can find applications that range from the detection of pathologies by analyzing biomedical images to the prediction of diseases through the automatic analysis of personal electronic health records.
The primary objective of this Ph.D. project is: to develop deep learning models for text mining and their application to the automatic diagnostic of diseases from existing texts in the personal health records. During this project, the candidate will design and implement methods that correctly scale on big data problems, that is, where data are overabundant, available from multiple sources and, sometimes represented in a non-conventional way.
Job position description
The PhD position will be developed in the research laboratory “Knowledge Discovery and Intelligent Systems in Biomedicine”, belonging to the Maimonides Institute of Biomedical Research (IMIBIC).
Advanced training of the PhD students belonging to our research laboratory is further provided through the Doctoral Program in Advanced Computing of the University of Cordoba. This program gives access to the Dual PhD program with the Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, USA). This represents a big advantage as our PhD students can graduate from both Universities.
The IMIBIC building is located within the University Health Sciences Campus, near the Reina Sofia University Hospital. It hosts a wide variety of core facilities for researchers, including the Biomedical Research Support Units that hosts brand new equipment and laboratories to support the technical needs of the IMIBIC community, as well as a Clinical Research Unit to support clinical trial research.
How to Search for this offer:
You can find this offer via the Offer Finder, available at https://finder.lacaixafellowships.org/finder
Select “IMIBIC – Maimonides Biomedical Research Institute to Cordoba” from the dropdown list under “HOST ORGANIZATION”
You can also search the position by its title "IMPROVING AUTOMATIC MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BY DEEP LEARNING" under "Search by project title / Job position / Positions description"
1) At the call deadline (4th Feb 2021), applicants must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
2) At the time of recruitment, candidates must comply with one of the following options:
- To have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree adapted to the European Higher Education Area awarding 300 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits must correspond to master level.
- To have completed a degree in university not adapted to the European Higher Education Area that gives access to doctoral studies. The verification of an equivalent level of studies to the ones mentioned above will be made by the university when the admission procedure starts.
3) Candidates must not have resided or have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline (4th Feb 2021). Short stays, such as holidays, done in a country other than their country of usual residence (where they carried out their main activity), will be considered as time spent in their country of usual residence.
4) Candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher).
5) Only candidates whose applications meet all the requirements of the call may be accepted.
How to Apply:
If you want to apply for an INPhINIT fellowship, click on the link below to create your personal account and fill in the on-line application form: https://candidate.lacaixafellowships.org/login
4 February 2021: Application deadline.
18 February 2021: Deadline for submitting the language certificate.
22 April 2021: Notification of the shortlist results.
25, 26 and 27 May 2021: Face-to-face interviews in Barcelona.
7 June 2021: Publication of the final list of selected candidates.
7 – 30 June 2021: Matching between the research centres – fellows.
Call for application:
Email (for questions concerning the host organisation IMIBIC):
The responsibility for the hosting offers published on this website, including the hosting description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.