ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/12/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
EMME-CARE Research Centre
The current position is opened in the framework of the EU H2020 project “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; TEAMING Grant no. 856612; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/). EMME-CARE established a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
The Environmental Prediction Department (EPD), under the EMME-CARE project provides essential insights into key processes of the Earth System that govern regional climate change, to analyse weather extremes, air quality deterioration, dust events, and their connections to the hydrologic cycle, consisting of the:
- Model Development and Forecasting Unit, responsible for numerical modelling and data analysis, the development of process parameterisations, the optimisation of computer codes for the latest generation High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure, and the pursuit of forecasting applications
- Earth System Analysis Unit, pursuing the chain of knowledge from processes to impacts, through the analysis of observations, model studies that focus on system understanding and feedback mechanisms, scenario calculations, climate change downscaling for the EMME and Cyprus, and impact assessments.
The selected candidate will contribute to the research objectives of the Environmental Prediction Department, within the framework of the H2020 EMME-CARE and other related national (AQ-SERVE, CELSIUS, SUSTURBANCLIM) and international (ACCEPT) projects in:
- Atmospheric and climate/earth system modelling and analysis tools
- Emission inventories, modelling and analysis
- Dynamical downscaling of climate change and weather extremes
- Modelling and analysis of the urban environment
- Air quality and dust modelling and forecasting
- Air pollution and climate change health impacts
The position of Research Assistant includes an attractive compensation package and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop in an international research environment and pursue PhD studies in collaboration with the EMME-CARE partners and spend time in Paris, Mainz and Helsinki, or other linked academic institutions in the EMME region.
The appointment will be on a full time basis, initially for a fixed-term period of two (2) years, with the potential of renewal depending on performance and Institute needs.
The successful candidate will be carrying out the following activities
- Collection and statistical analysis of observational and model data relevant to atmospheric and climate change in the eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East (EMME)
- Set-up, application, evaluation, forecasting and projection with atmospheric and climate/earth system models from global to regional/urban scales
- Contribution to emission, air quality, climate change and health impact and risk assessments for the EMME
- Presentation of results in conferences and meetings and participation in journal publications
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Prof. Jos Lelieveld(firstname.lastname@example.org). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Contact person: Prof. Jos Lelieveld
Reference number: EMME-CARE_RA_19_06
- MSc/MA degree in Natural, Computer Sciences or Engineering
- Understanding of physical and mathematical concepts
- Numeracy and calculus skills
- Willingness to travel and spend time in partner organizations
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- High interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and in writing.
- Background or solid interest in Environmental, Atmospheric and Climate Sciences
- Background or solid interest in Climate change impacts and environmental health
- Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered an advantage
EURAXESS offer ID: 579352
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.