ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringGeography
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/12/2020 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centres, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Unmanned Systems Research Laboratory (USRL; http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy) is one of the flagship facility of the Cyprus Institute (CyI); developed in the framework of the “Autonomous Flying Platforms for Atmospheric and Earth Surface Observation” Project (APAESO). The facility is operating various sizes of fixed and rotary wing Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), a mobile Ground Control Station and a fully equipped laboratory and workshop dedicated to Unmanned Systems and their Applications. USRL is currently involved in various field of research, including atmospheric sciences, environmental surveillance, and photogrammetry (for 3D reconstruction of terrain and constructions)
In order to further extend its research activities in the field of UAV-based photogrammetry and further develop new aerial imaging applications, the Cyprus Institute is seeking to recruit a Research Technical Assistant to support the USRL team in laboratory and field work which involves drones for aerial image acquisition.
This position is supported by the RIF INTEGRATED/0918/0034 project “PERIsCOPE” (Portal for hERItage buildingS integration into the COntemPorary built Environment), the RIF EXCELLENCE/0918/0144 project IH-AT (Invisible Heritage - Analysis and Technologies) and the EU H2020 project “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute established a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research (CARE-C) for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
The successful candidate will be a member of the Research and Development Team of the USRL under the supervision of the USRL manager and CARE-C Director.
- Flight Planning, Image Acquisition and Processing for aerial imaging.
- Preparation and maintenance of the drones for fieldwork readiness
- Collection and organization of imaging data.
- Assistance in the development of software/hardware for image acquisition and processing systems.
- Participation in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the imaging systems.
- Participation in field deployment (including research campaigns) and demonstrations of UAVs in Cyprus and abroad.
- Keeping up to date with UAS imaging systems’ and associated technology and makes appropriate recommendations to the team leader.
- Ensuring compliance with service guidance, Institute’s policy and procedures and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Christos Keleshis (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Contact person: Christos Keleshis Reference number: CARE-C_RTA_ 20_11
Required Experience and Qualifications
- BSc in Engineering (UAS, Electrical, Mechanical or Software), Geography or similar
- 1-year experience in relevant field
- Experience in applications for terrain reconstruction using aerial imaging.
- Integration of Remote Sensing Data (Infrared, Visual, HyperSpectral, Multispectral, LIDAR) in GIS systems.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and project planning skills.
- Excellent knowledge English language both verbal and written.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- UAV Pilot/Operator experience will be considered as an additional advantage
- Knowledge/Experience in Geometric representation, 3D modelling
- Knowledge/Experience in Image processing
- Knowledge/Experience in 3D GIS
EURAXESS offer ID: 579343
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.